Thursday, September 1, 2016

In a minute they're grown

When we become parents, we make a silent promise to ourselves and our kids to raise them to be kind, loving, considerate, and responsible individuals. We wonder to ourselves who they will be, what they will become. We know they will leave us one day, even though at six years old, they promise they'll live with us forever.  But as they grow up into teens with challenging personalities (because let's be honest, aren't all teens a bit challenging?) we sometimes think the day when they become independent adults can't come soon enough.

And then the day does come. In what seems like a minute, it is here. We've prepared for it, sort of -- they've already been away at college, so we're used to not having them around all the time.  And when they come home, they're not home that much between work, friends and their social life, not necessarily in that order! But now it's different.

I've sent three kids off to college and on their way to pursue their careers.  Each time was emotional, but I was so happy they were fulfilling their dreams. I looked on the bright side ... my house would be cleaner and I wouldn't have to cook if I didn't want to! That did little to ease how much I miss them, but I keep telling myself there are benefits.  But now it truly is different. This month I watched my youngest walk out the door and drive away to begin her new independence in New York City, just like her older siblings did 4 and 6 years ago.


I couldn't be more proud or happier for her. But as I walk by her bedroom with the bed neatly made and the teddy bear perched against the pillows, I see my little girl with bangs clutching the teddy bear and I hear her sweet voice say "goodnight mommy.  I love you." I feel a lump in my throat and a tear stings my eye.

Then I remember that I did what I was supposed to do as their mom, guided by their dad. I gave them wings, and for the short time Jeff had to influence them in person, together we gave them the encouragement and confidence to fly. And just when I'm feeling a little disconnected, my phone buzzes with a message that almost always ends with "thanks, Love you" to make my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment